Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 1996 02:48:24 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        swise@austin.ibm.com (Jean-Steveau Wise)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI 4x cdrom hang

> I've got a 133MHZ Intel system (Packard Bell) with a 4x IDE ATAPI
> cdrom.  FreeBSD 2.1 finds the device and I can read from it (ls -sailR
> will show everything on the cd mounted).  However, whenever I try to
> transfer anything off it, the entire system hangs.  I'd be happy to get

Hmmmm.  First thing to start might be to compile DDB into your kernel.
See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook220.html#403 for a quick
reference on using the kernel debugger.  Then when it hangs next time,
you can drop into DDB and at least figure out where it's hanging!
Perhaps you're looping somewhere in the ATAPI driver and can add a
check to catch some case it's missing.

The driver's author has disappeared without a trace, I'm afraid to
say, so we're currently sort of winging it with this one until he
makes his reappearance! :-(

					Jordan