Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:13:25 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Nicol=E1s_Castellano?= <jncastellano@noconname.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bind + CHROOT + -u binduser fails

--------------050909070100090901070008

Hi,

I installed recently freebsd 5.3 from cd and i test the bind9 port of
bind9-9.3.0

i installed correctly and i configure my own zones, but with a
particular switches:

rc.conf:

named_enable="YES"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="/usr/sbin/named" # path to named, if you want a different
one.
named_flags="-u bind"           # Flags for named
named_pidfile="/var/run/named/pid" # Must set this in named.conf as well
named_chrootdir="/var/named"    # Chroot directory (or "" not to
auto-chroot it)
named_chroot_autoupdate="YES"   # Automatically install/update chrooted
                                # components of named. See /etc/rc.d/named.
named_symlink_enable="YES"      # Symlink the chrooted pid file

The result is, when i want to serve dns to address * I decoment the next
line in named.conf:

        listen-on       { *; };

   1. And then the syslog reports:

named[262]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
named[262]: creating IPv4 interface rl0 failed; interface ignored
named[262]: not listening on any interfaces

If i change the next switch from rc.conf:
named_flags=""

Now i'm running named as root user.... whycannot run as bind user??

Thanks

--
Jose Nicolas Castellano
Presidente - Asociación No cON Name