Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 23:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, mark@grondar.za, ache@astral.msk.su, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> > > Why? You have voiced an opinion for another package (I cannot remember its
> > > name). Lets hear some argument for this. I would like _something_.
> >
> >      1.   RSAREF is free for personal or corporate use under the
> >           following conditions:
> >
> >           o    RSAREF, RSAREF applications, and services based on
> >                RSAREF applications may not be sold.
>
> Does selling a `free' operating system for the distribution costs on CDROM
> count as `selling'?

Walnut Creek is selling these CDROM's high about what would be considered
``distribution costs''.  They _are_ a for profit company, and do make
a profit!!

> Is FreeBSD (as opposed to the CDROM) actually `sold'? (This question could
> easily sink to semantics, I know. Lets try to keep it sane.

Yes, it is sold, some times even for more than you would ever think
possible.

> GNU may not be sold either. We have GNU. (Not much, and the license makes it
> a bit funny, but when you need it, you need it).

Nothing in the GNU license says you can't sell GNU binaries, heck RTR
software makes a full time profitable business compiling and selling
GNU binaries.  It simply says you have to provide the sources at cost
of distribution, but it says nothing about what you can make for profit
from building BINARIES!!!

> >           o    You must give RSA the source code of any free RSAREF
> >                application you plan to distribute or deploy within
> >                your company. RSA will make these applications
> >                available to the public, free of charge.
>
> What is the problem here? We _want_ to do this. We are going to do it anyway.

You are *NOT* going to make RSA part of the FreeBSD source tree, no how,
no way, nodda, forget it, it is way way way to much legalize involved with
even touching RSA code in the USA!!!!  You think the State Department
and DES is a pain, wait until you see what a company that holds a patent
on something you are using can do to you for screwing around with it!

I don't want to put FreeBSD or Walnut Creek in that possition, nor would
I want any person buying FreeBSD to be put into that possition.  Do it
as a port, period.  Garrett is right on this one, and I am going to back
him up 100%.