Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 20:38:35 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

>>> I didn't see a bump, but as a result of this change, it should be.
>> Why just for this change?  I don't want the version number bumped, I
>> want more care taken to avoid having to bump it for unimportant
>> changes.

>Because when a new function is added to a library, the minor version
>number needs to be incremented, so that users don't get confused.

I asked why just for this change.  New globals in the application's
namespace have been introduced in the following libraries since 2.0R:

libc: only the strhash globals.
libdialog: many new globals.
libforms: many new globals.  Many interface changes.
libg++: some regexp globals removed.
libgcc: many globals removed, but we've already fixed the problems.
libncurses: many new globals.  Some removed.  Some renamed.
libreadline: many new globals.  One removed.
libtermcap: one new global.

The strhash module should be moved to some more volatile library so
that the version number of libc can be left alone.  The minor or major
version number of the others should be bumped for 2.1.

Bruce