Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:33:09 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed change to struct clockinfo

> As John Hay wrote:
>
> > As far as I can tell only 4 other files use the clockinfo structure and
> > they will work again after a recompile. They are:
> > lib/libc/gmon/gmon.c
> > usr.bin/time/time.c
> > usr.sbin/kgmon/kgmon.c
> > libexec/rpc.rstatd/rstat_proc.c
> >
> > I would also like to put these in the 2.2 tree after a few days.
>
> Since you're going to change a file in libc, this would require a
> version number update.  This is unacceptable for 2.2.  Please clarify
> in -hackers whether the already bumped minor version number would
> suffice (i assume, even though strictly spoken, isn't it an interface
> change to an existing library function? -- this would mandate a major
> number bump, sigh).

The interface to the library function does not change. The sysctl change
and lib/libc/gmon/gmon.c use that, so it will have to be recompiled to
work again. So I think the minor version bump that already happened
should be enough??? The other programs in the list above use the sysctl
direcly and would also have to be recompiled, but I don't think that is
a problem???

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za