Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:36:39 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum limits disk size to 255MB

--xYeFQzU4VZLrHqxU

On Monday,  6 December 2004 at  0:28:01 +0100, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up vinum on a freshly installed FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7
> box. The system is installed on da0. I want to use three 18G SCSI
> drives to create a vinum volume.
>
> For some reason vinum believes the disks hold a mere 255MB. This is
> what vinum sets the subdisk length if I specify "0m" as the length
> (meaning "use all available space" according to the manual). If I
> specify any larger size manually, vinum complains that there is "No
> space left on device" which strikes me odd. I *believe* that the fdisk
> and bsdlabel outputs reprinted below show that the disks are indeed
> 18G. According to my math, the appropriate size to specify in the
> vinum configuration would be 35566215s, that is the number of sectors
> of the smaller disks minus 265.
>
> I see only one minor problem: The disks are not identical, with
> da1 having a slightly larger capacity than da2 and da3.
>
> Can anyone throw me a ring here?

You don't say whether you're using vinum or gvinum.  I've never seen
this problem before, but if you're getting incorrect subdisk sizes,
try specifying them explicitly:

 sd length 35840952s drive ibma=20

I wonder whether the problem is related to specifying the size as 0m
instead of 0.  It shouldn't be.

Greg

--xYeFQzU4VZLrHqxU

--xYeFQzU4VZLrHqxU--