Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:17:18 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recording via SB16?

Harlan Stenn:
 |I'm trying to record a low-res snippent of sound from the CD with no
 |success.
 |
 |While I've gotten the 44kHz .cd[ar] files to disk and can play them back,
 |I've been unable to convert these files to anything else that is playable.
 |(I've tried sox and tosha and probably something else.)  I figured the next
 |thing to try was to record from the SB16 card, but I just don't get
 |anything.

If you've got them on disk and can play them back, what program are you
using to play them.

Could this format be the .cdr format documented in the sox man page?:

     .cdr      CD-R
               CD-R files are used  in  mastering  music  Compact
               Disks.   The  file format is, as you might expect,
               raw stereo raw unsigned samples  at  44khz.   But,
               there's  some  blocking/padding oddity in the for-
               mat, so it needs its own handler.

If so, should be able to convert these to whatever format you want.

Randall