Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:54:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@rcn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portmanager Crash

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:26:47AM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I followed Matthew Seaman's instructions, except that there was no=20
> 'portmanager.core' file created. The file that was created was=20
> 'pmStatus.core'. I assume that is the file that I am to work with.
>=20
> In any event, I ran 'portmanager' to create the core dump, Next I ran 'gd=
b'=20
> which produced the following output:
>=20
> root@rcn=20
> $gdb /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0/portmanager/p=
ortmanager=20
> -c pmStatus.core
> GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditi=
ons.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for detail=
s.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
>=20
> warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
> Core was generated by `pmStatus'.

Well, knowing which program is actually dumping core is progress of a
sort.  However, you do need to match the binary being debugged
aganinst the generated core file, or the backtrace will unfortunately
be meaningless.  There should be a pmStatus binary somewhere under
/usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager/work/portmanager-0.2.0 that you can
use.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20