Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:51:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dev/virtio stuff

Hi,

----- Original Message -----

There are already virtio(4) man pages, but it looks like they didn't
get MFC to 9.

> I've loaded the virtio drivers as modules.  Is this not going to work in
> this case?  I don't see the virtio versions of disk devices in /dev
> so I'm not sure what the problem here is.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/virtio.txt

>> FreeBSD 7.5-YAHOO-20121028 #0 ybsd_9@324991: Sun Oct 28 22:08:46 UTC 2012
>>    kernel@yahoo-inc.com:/sys/amd64/compile/YAHOO amd64

I assume this is 9-STABLE'ish?

>> virtio_pci0: <VirtIO PCI Block adapter> port 0xc200-0xc23f irq 11 at device 4.0 on pci0
>> vtblk0: <VirtIO Block Adapter> on virtio_pci0
>> virtio_pci0: host features: 0x41000014 <NotifyOnEmpty,DiskGeometry,MaxNumSegs>
>> virtio_pci0: negotiated features: 0x14 <DiskGeometry,MaxNumSegs>
>> vtblk0: 4096MB (8388608 512 byte sectors)

The VirtIO block gets probed and attached correctly, and right after the
last printf, hands off to disk_create(9) to create the GEOM plumbing and
device. VirtIO block devices get created as vtbdX, not as ad, ada, or da.

Can you see if g_disk_create() gets called (with flag==EV_CANCEL)?
What does a verbose boot show?

Bryan