Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 09:14:31 -0800 (PDT)
From:      topaz5@hushmail.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dumb question

--Hushpart_boundary_yEbNuhMFPwYHKUlglyjgSlXMHIXvrciR

First, I'd like to apologize in advance for making a fool of myself. I know
this is something I should be able to figure out myself, but I've tried
to RTFM and didn't get very far....

I have a small FreeBSD server that I recently upgraded from 3.4 to 4.2.
Due to hardware problems, this took about two weeks :). The server is behind
a firewall, but it had been on a special IP address the firewall was set
up to ignore.

While the server was down for upgrading/fixing, a friend of mine set up
an NT server in the same building to respond to the firewall-less IP address,
 and put up a simple web page saying the real server was down. The transition
went smoothly.

But when I finally got the FreeBSD server running and put it back on its
old address, it wouldn't connect to the network! With a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
(what we usually use in this building, long story), it could ping the router
but not get outside the firewall; connections to hosts on the local network
didn't work either. The really bizarre thing is that when I set up the machine
to use our DHCP server, it got exactly the same network settings and worked
perfectly - except, of course, that it couldn't use our reserved IP address
to get outside the network.

So there must be something different in the way NT /FreeBSD 3.4 and FreeBSD
4.2 handle network settings that makes the former work and the latter not.
But I really can't think of what that might be. Can anyone give any insight
into the situation?

Thanks a lot,

-- Dan

P.S.: This is a network in a high school that is severely convoluted. I
realize that's probably half the problem, but I can't do anything about
it....

(sorry for the advertisement below)
Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com
--Hushpart_boundary_yEbNuhMFPwYHKUlglyjgSlXMHIXvrciR--

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have access to your open personal email messages.