Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2020 19:17:00 +0100
From:      Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To:        Lars Engels <lme@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Gordon Bergling <gbergling@googlemail.com>, Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Subject:   Re: More secure permissions for /root and /etc/sysctl.conf

Lars Engels wrote in <20200131161347.GA33086@e.0x20.net>:

 |>> based on common sense
 |>
 |> Who's common sense, as mine and some others say this is an unneeded
 |> change with no technical merit.
 |>
 |> You have provided no technical reasons for your requested change,
 |> yet others have presented technical reasons to not make it,
 |> so to try and base a support position on "common sense" is kinda moot.
 |>
 |> We actually discussed this at dinner tonight and no one could come up
 |> with a good reason to lock /root down in such a manner unless someone
 |> was storing stuff in /root that should probably not really be stored
 |> there.  Ie, there is a bigger problem than chmod 750 /root is going to
 |> fix.
 |
 |/root can store config files and shell history with confidential
 |information.

Absolutely.  My own /root is in fact shared in between many
systems, and many scripts from /etc/ reach into /root/$HOSTNAME/,
with some generics in /root/.  Practically all of that is Linux
though.  But it is very nice, since i can share very, very much,
and even the hostname= comes from kernel command line parameter,
and multiplexes to entirely different setups.

efibootmgr is cool, by the way.

--steffen