Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:04:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        dreyenga@telus.net
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of JFS, why not a whole new FS?

--- Dave Reyenga <dreyenga@telus.net> wrote:
> How about writing a new filesystem based on UFS?
> This would save all of the
> hassle that JFS would bring: licensing, porting
> time, etc. Of course, it
> would likely bust any compatibility desired.

hi,
first of all,
a project called UFS2 has been started by Kirk
McKusick
on improving the existing UFS file system and
improving
'softupdates' and other stuff in this file system.

> What I'm thinking is a filesystem that takes the
> current UFS and improves
> upon it. It could support larger partitions, more
> partitions in a slice, and
> perhaps a "Journal" partition (like the current
> "swap" partition) among
> other new features.

I dont know that this could be possible of having
a 'Journal' partition, though I may be wrong.

> What do others have to say about this? Are there any
> major flaws in my idea?
> It just seems to me that this would cut a lot of
> hassle.

One flaw in your idea is, that it would literally take
longer to make this kind of file system on our current
UFS source base.  The reason is due to the code
maturity level that UFS has reached of around 20
years.

I think porting JFS will take less time than upgrading
the current UFS, which as a matter of fact has already
been started by Kirk McKusick himself.

Regarding 'hassle', for me; nothing is a hassle as
long
as it can be acheived.  If you are really interested
in upgrading the current UFS, it would be good if you
got in touch with Kirk McKusick himself.

regards,
=Hiten
=<hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>

=====