Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 13:27:08 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   gcc linker problems

Hi,
	I'm having a few problems (static) linking some programs with gcc. The
program comes from a Sun4.x and I've got everything to compile OK but
get errors when linking. The compiling/linking is run from scripts which
produce the following:

	cc <options> file1.o file2.o -lrad

The errors (100's of them!) are of the form:

file1.o: undefined symbol '_sys_get_status' referenced in text segment

In all cases the symbols are defined in librad.a (confirmed with nm) and
are declared extern in the source (in the header files).

I guess this is just a case of the options to cc being different for gcc
than for the Sun (Sparcworks C compiler v3.0.1), which was all I had to
modify to compile the source, but I can't work out what needs changing
for the linker.

I'm not looking for a definitive to solution to this specific case just
some pointers (no pun intended) to the correct options to use (I would
have to trawl through the scripts to work out exactly what options are
currently being used).

Thanks.

--
CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |