Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:29:12 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Lars Eighner <stableuser@larseighner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is sio.c still broken?

> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:14:50 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Lars Eighner <stableuser@larseighner.com>
>
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> >> Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:12:43 -0500 (CDT)
> >> From: Lars Eighner <stableuser@larseighner.com>
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >>
> >> I was about to trash a modem because the HDLC and buffer overflows were
> >> grinding it to halt --- or just about.  I switch slots, changed the modem
> >> out with and old 28.8, and so forth.
> >>

> >> Eventually I discovered some really old stuff about sio.c which
> >> suggested this:
> >>
> >>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 4;
> >>
> >> be changed to this.
> >>
> >>    	cp4ticks = speed / 10 / hz * 40;
> >>
> >> and everything worked like a charm
> >>
> >> So I am wondering why this hasn't been changed since it seems to be
> >> necessary for proper operation of just about the only non-winmodem
> >> available.
> >
> > Probably because sio is about to be dropped and no one has given it much
> > attention of late.
> >
> > It's probably best to convert to use of uart which is the new serial
> > port driver and will be the only one in V8 which is in code freeze and
> > should be out in two or three months.
> >
> > Let the "I coulda had a V8" puns and bad jokes begin!
> >

> Any idea where there is info on how to do this?  Nothing in man uart is
> helpful to me, and if it is the handbook, I can't find it.  I found a few
> things about modems and ttys, but I want it for ppp.
>
> Since it seems to work now, perhaps I better stop upgrading.
>
> After all, umass upgrades may my camera useless (except as a way to panic
> the system.  Some upgrade or another made the scanner and card-reading
> functions on my printer useless.  I can't afford to up to the point that my
> modem doesn't work.

I have no experience running PPP over uart devices, but, in general, it's
a drop-in replacement. The main difference is that the tty devices are
/dev/ttyuX and /dev/cuauX instead of the current /dev/ttydX and
/dev/cuadX.

The loss of sio is an outgrowth of the complete rewrite of terminal
device support for V8. It is vastly cleaner then it was and many issues
people have been having with integrating such devices into other code,
particularly in regard to pseudo-terminals, is much improved.

Also, V8 has a completely rewritten USB stack. It should work far better
than the one in V7.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)