Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 20:29:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   From the release-eng's wishlist

(There are several entirely different subjects covered in this email)

Hi hackers,

I'm starting to collect the threads for the 2.1 release:

First, I have a couple of "pet" bugs I'd like to see dead.  Soon.

    FT probe, at one time I saw a patch, but later that got
    retracted or what ?

    BAD144, I'll try to lick this one, but the ST506 we got
    donated was dead on arrival so I still miss the HW to do so.

Second:  The release team intend to release snapshots from now on till
we get done.  If you can, grap one, try out the new install (comming to
a FreeBSD near you soon !) and send some feedback to us (paul, jkh & phk).

Next:  "Vak" wrote a "compressed kernel" gadget back in 1.X days, I have
looked at it, and would love to have it working again.  Anybody willing to
take a look ?  It would give us some space on the boot and cpio floppies..
(If you can use the "inflate" already in the kernel it would be nice, since
that has already been "kernelized".)

And now, something entirely different:  Our kernel has become rather big
lately, if somebody were to change a device-driver to use malloc rather
than "struct softc_foo foo_dev[NFOO];" and preferrably make the driver
completely disregard the value of NFOO in preparation for PCMCIA and
other such stuff then I wouldn't mind at all :-)

And finally:  one of my wishes for 2.1 is to have a "not_yet" directory,
which contains the various bits and pieces we have "in progress" here and
there.

I know of various patches and changes people have running home in
the lab, and I'd like to get some of them forward and into the light.

This is a good way to get your code finished, you have a good chance
of finding co-developers and testers, and maybe even somebody willing
to inherit some code you have sidetracked...  "FreeBSD Classified Ads" :-)

The rules are simple:
	You must supply a README file with your stuff.
	The copyright must allow Walnut Creek to put it on the CDROM.

That's all.

There will be a big sign on this stuff saying that this is not_yet
quality, and that it's peoples own fault if they blow up using it.

Send me an email, if you have something to throw in so I can see if
there is interest for this.

Don't submit the stuff yet.  I will make a ftp directory somewhere
when we get to alpha/beta and you can dump it there at that time.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD core-team, 2.1 release engineer.