Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:47:15 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Bluezmo" <bluezmo@earthlink.net>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Learning FreeBSD was: blank

On Thursday 20 March 2003 11:27 am, Bluezmo wrote:
> I've been tussling with installing & implementing FreeBSD 5 on a laptop for

as others have said 5.0 can be a pain as it was not meant to be a polished
release.

> Yesterday my buddy who recommended I try BSD as an alternative to Linux
> came over & we attempted the install of BSD 4.7 because it was "stable".  I
> had hoped that we would be able to configure a PCMCIA ethernet card on the
> front end of the install by checking the conflicts & punching in the ports
> & IQ's documented by Windows (laptop, dual booted).  We tried using the FTP
> site but the card didn't function.  I tried the same paradigm for the CD
> ROM with the same results.
>
> OK, rather than suffer the anticipated wrath of the BSD community by
> posting to an inappropriate area, I have several questions about this
> experience.  I joined the newbie group because I am a newbie & will want to

That's a good place to ask for true newbie questions.  Read Greg's advice on
how to ask questions here and take that to heart:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
no one will flame you if you follow that advice.

> ask questions. I've read until my eyeballs are swimming with "inuxes" & am
> slightly frustrated because I simply want to learn the OS rather than
> search newsgroups for the appropriate forum.  When I click the link
> http://www.freebsd.org/search.html , to search, a redirect shuttles me to a
> message that the link doesn't function.  So, I'm posting here because my
> concerns are newbie concerns.  Hopefully, someone will take the time to
> comment.
>
> 1) If I don't find specific hardware listed in the hardware list, does that
> mean the drivers aren't available period?  People expound on the advantages
> of open source code being ultimately customizable.  In short, if the
> drivers aren't available for a device, and the kernel can't be configured,
> what can be done (if anything) to get the device to function?

1) write the driver as others mentioned.
2) see if the latest version of freebsd supports it  (thats -current)
3) pay someone to write the driver
4) donate or lend another of the same hardware to the maintainer of similiar
drivers

> 2) Given the scenario (and post discussion with other "inux" users) it has
> been suggested that I try Linux initially to get my feet wet in the "inux"
> environment.  My buddy says to stick with BSD.  In the endless

You'll just have to see what suits you.  Advantages of BSD's are that they are
developed cohesively and thus tend to make more sense if you will.

> documentation I've perused, mention was made of Open & Net BSD.  My
> perception was that those flavors maybe better suited to my goals.

could be.  Though both are to an extent targeted to more sophisticated users.
That is especially true in the sense that they are vehement to the point of
near violence if questions are asked without reading the proper
documentation.  You'll likely find FreeBSD more suited to the newbie, but
many find OpenBSD very intuitive.  Best bet is to read a lot of the info at
each projects page to decide for yourself.

> So, if someone is out there & cares to perhaps elaborate, it would be
> appreciated.  I have several computers, Windows & Macintosh & want to learn
> UNIX.

Reading the handbook at www.freebsd.org/handbook  would be a great start.
Biggest thing, have fun

Tim