Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:47:47 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Hooman Fazaeli <hoomanfazaeli@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0-R em0 issues?

--On 11 August 2012 12:36 +0430 Hooman Fazaeli <hoomanfazaeli@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> "
>> Name    Mtu Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs Idrop
>> Opkts Oerrs  Coll em0    1500 <Link#5>      00:25:90:31:82:46 355482
>> 10612864185945     0 291109 3032246910270 1516123455135 "
> 82574L with ASPM enabled is known to cause a problem like yours.
> (See:http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=82574L+%2B+ASPM
> <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=82574L+%2B+ASPM>)
> However, some time ago, jack committed a fix which disabled ASPM to fix
> the problem.
> I recommend getting and compiling latest e1000 source from CVS (which is
> version 7.3.2)
> and see what happens.

Hi,

In the midst of trying to get this onto the machine (without the NIC
working - which was fun), during a reboot the NIC suddenly disappeared
completely.

Rebooting the machine again gives a 50/50 on the NIC probing when FreeBSD
runs up - half the time I'm left with em1 only, and no em0.

It looks like this has gone from a 'possible software' issue to a 'probable
hardware' issue now? - I've moved the connection over to em1, I'll see how
I get on with that.

Unless the ASPM issue cause things like the device not probing properly at
boot time?

One of the last things I did on the machine was to recompile without if_em
in the kernel (so I can load / unload it). Doing that you get a number of
warnings from:

  em0: Memory Access and/or Bus Master bits were not set!

Through to,

  em0: Setup of Shared code failed
  em0 attach returned 6

And,

  em0: Hardware Initialization Failed

I'm guessing the ASPM issue isn't going to cause that, and it does look
like it's gone 'slightly flakey' NIC to 'pretty knackered' now, hardware
wise.

In all the years I've been doing this - that'll be the first NIC that's
ever failed "after" installation...

Regards,

-Karl