Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:47:36 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>, "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>, Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAE (was Re: bus_dmamem_alloc_size())

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Gary Thorpe wrote:
> > Would this be part of a unified buffer-cache scheme though? If I have
> > been following correctly, this memory cannot be directly mapped into
> > processes address space (i.e. a process in one "segment" cannot access
> > directly memory in another "segment"), so how would it be useful as a
> > cache? Wouldn't this need lots of data copying as in bounce buffers?
>
> It the nasty PSE36 hack that cant be used for this.  PAE works fine as
> cache since it is all available to all processes.

What Peter said: the thing you don't get is the ability to have more
than 4G of KVA + UVA space, unless you split the VM and buffer cache.

Also what Peter said about the performance penalty that comes from
PAE, and what I said about the reliability penalty from #ifdef'ing
and seperately maintaining the code side-by-side.

-- Terry