Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 00:34:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rknebel@uplink.net (Rick Knebel)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba

Rick Knebel wrote,
> On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 06:28:16PM -0400, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > Rick Knebel wrote,
> > > Hi,
> > > I have samba running nicely under linux but it seems everything is in a
> > > different place under freebsd.
> > > Where is smbmount?
> >
> > I assume you have added the Samba package or port already? Samba is
> > _not_ part of the default FreeBSD distribution, but a third party
> > software package.
> >
> > If you install Samba from package or ports, the binaries will fall
> > into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin. Configuration files will find
> > their way to /usr/local/etc.
> >
> > I have no idea where your Linux disrtibution put them ('cause I bet it
> > does vary from dist. to dist. as well).
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I looked in those two places and smbmount was not there.
> Someone elso emailed me that these only work with linux.

Sorry, I didn't look closely enough at your question. smbmount(8) is
part of the 'Sharity-Light' port (/usr/ports/net/sharity-light), NOT
Samba.

> I have a home network and wnat to back up my two win machines via my freebsd
> box.

But you can do this. If you have installed Samba, see smbtar(1).

> I can see all the files on the two machines and can move them back and forth
> between the machines, but I need to mount them in order to back them upo.
> Is there any way to do this with samba under freebsd.

There is no real need to "mount" them; smbtar(1) will do it. If you do
want to mount them, add Sharity-Light.

Sorry for not getting all of this right the first time.