Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 03:22:57 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        lars@elbe.desy.de (Lars Gerhard Kuehl), Duncan.Barclay@pa-consulting.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: undocumented kernel priority changing

>Lars Gerhard Kuehl stands accused of saying:
>>
>> For sites with only a few active processes that isn't a problem at all.
>> (No competition.) If there are many active processes 'renicing' is highly
>> desirable. The limit is usually reached only by jobs submitted
>> with 'interactive' nice levels. It might be an advantage to increase
>> the limit if someone likes to use xemacs on a 16MHz 386SX.
>> (10 minutes cpu time even on a 100 MHz 586 is pretty a lot ;)
>
>It's peanuts for long-lived processes in any sort of 'embedded' application:
>
>mstradar:/home/radar>uptime
>11:49AM  up 23:35, 3 users, load averages: 0.19, 0.27, 0.25
>mstradar:/home/radar>ps ax
> 8651  ??  SN    36:01.06 /home/radar/rd12/libexec/FreeBSD/exptd -f /home/radar
> 3303  p0- SN    83:44.55 /usr/local/rsi/idl//bin/bin.linux/idl analysis_init
>
>As you can see, it's been up less than a day, and the current load is pretty
>low.  Depending on configuration, with just these two running the system
>will push a load average of 1.8 or more nonstop.  (These two also normally
>start out of /etc/rc.local, so they've been restarted some time after
>the system booted.)
>
>Your point about only having a few processes is quite valid though - there's
>no problem with either responsiveness or overall performance there.

   FreeBSD already has a sophisticated mechanism for controlling process
priorities (not nice value) for CPU hungry processes. The code in mi_switch()
looks like a total hack to me and should be removed in my opinion. Nothing
except the user or superuser should change the 'base scheduling priority'
("nice" value) of a process - certainly not automagically in the kernel.

-DG

David Greenman