Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:25:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vdev/pool math with combined raidzX vdevs...

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Jason Usher wrote:

> I'm not going to beat this to death, but just to summarize, if F is
> 2, then the corresponding data loss probabilities for RAID-Z1, -Z2,
> -Z3 are: 14.9%, 1.3%, and 0.086%.

I am not sure what the above percentages mean.

Regardless, I do agree that drive size is a factor in vdev reliability
(MTTDL).  Huge drives lessen reliability due to increased recovery
time and placing more data at risk.  There may be a cap on the maximum
size of "enterprise" drives since "enterprise" drives are normally
targeted for RAID applications.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn