Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:54:09 +1100
From:      Horst =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Burkhardt III <horst@sxemacs.org>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gjournal on powerpc ?

--=-EHelZawjhC7sebs6r/ZO

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 13:39 +0100, Niels S. Eliasen wrote:

> 1. how do you set the hardware clock on PowerPC ?? (dead-annoying that =20
> before getting ntpdate/ntpd running... all dates on the filesystems =20
> defaults to something in 1904 !!!)

Heh, mine default to 1976 ;) I believe this is in ofw, but don't know
where.

> 2. speaking of ntpdate/ntpd.... "named" would like to start before =20
> having set the date properly, which forces "named" to flunk out =20
> because of the date.... how to circumvent this ?

change the order of execution, procedure should be the same as on i386.
Unfortunately once again I don't know specifics.

> 3. 7.1-BETA2 complains on the logfiles in "/var/log" and they do not =20
> created correctly... and have to be "touch"'ed accordingly...

you could perhaps set /etc/rc.local to touch them on startup?

> 4. I have a problem with the "locate" command... it appears that the =20
> updatedb produces gibberish... and have tried to re-create the locate =20
> db database... but still no luck....
> 5. How do make a recovery CD for PowerPC ??? (it would have made my =20
> life a lot easier, having dump/restore easily available.... and =20
> principally the rest of  the FreeBSD available)

There is a set of tools called FreeSBIE, I believe there was some work
towards powerpc on this, but if you can get it working that will be the
easiest way to make a FreeBSD LiveCD or recovery CD.

> 6. Is there a "gpart" howto somewhere ? I understand the reason for =20
> having gpart, but pdisk is easier to use.... ;-)

> There are probably quite a number of PR's that needs/could be created =20
> by this... but I honestly do not know how do this....
>=20
> kind regards
>=20
> nse
>=20
> "Ach, crivens, what a wee snotter....."
>=20
> Quote from "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett

--=-EHelZawjhC7sebs6r/ZO

--=-EHelZawjhC7sebs6r/ZO--