Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:54:55 +0200
From:      "Noisex" <noisex@apollo.lv>
To:        <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: performance degradation in 6.2 when adding a second quad core	chip

So Benjamin you want to tell, that adding additional CPU decrease the
performance on 6.2? How did you made tests?
	I just want to know because in my plans to the next week is also add
2nd CPU (dual core) and some additional RAM to one of the my HP Proliant
DL360 (generaly mysql db server) because due to heavy MySQL usage nearly to
100% or even more sometimes some of my customers are not very happy with
service like that (long load time).

Server: HP proliant G4P DL360, CPU 1x3Ghz dual core, RAM: 4Gb (on system i
can see 3Gb :) ), SCSI 146Gbx2 (RAID 1+0 with smartarray controller p4600).
OS: FreeBSD 6.2, SMP

Current load of mysql process:

  PID USERNAME       THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU
COMMAND
70348 mysql           17  20    0   450M   234M kserel 1 111.4H 99.46%
mysqld

MySQL Version 5.0.51 i386
Uptime = 28 days 18 hrs 51 min 19 sec
Avg. qps = 567
Total Questions = 469973918
Threads Connected = 4

however that may be:
1) on next week i will upgrade to 6.3 but i dont know will it give some
performance or not but generaly i wait final relase of 7.0 with ULE
sheduller.
2) i will add +4GB RAM
3) i will add 2nd CPU

If it will not help, i will consider about mysql clustering...btw, is it
ok/done on freebsd?

p.s what you guys could recommend about enabled/disabled hyperthreading on
intel? Will it increase performance or over the left decrease?

-Gatis Rumbens