Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:09:31 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blocking

Anthony Kimball wrote:

> An NFS blocking behaviour which doesn't seem correct to me:
>
> 1. background a long /bin/cp to /foo from an NFS-mounted file system.
> 2. ls /foo
>
> note that (2) hangs until (1) completes.  Is this a bug?

	Someone smarter than me will probably respond to tell me that I'm wrong,
but in my nascent understanding of NFS I'd say no, although I can't quite
explain exactly what I'm thinking about it. The best way I can express it
is to say that while one client is already making a change on a file system
more requests from the same client get queued. I believe that if you were
to do the 'ls' from a different system it would not block.

	Ok, there's the slow hanging curve, someone else can step up and hit it
out of the park. :)

Doug