Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:58:45 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org
Subject:   Re: Recativating Xfree86 4.2.0 in the ports tree

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 02:04:51PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Will, while I understand and support your desire to split the big
> XFree86 thing into pieces, but why you are refusing to put 4.2.0 back in
> the meantime and let people be happy until conversion is complete? I
> can't think of any good reason for such behaviour. Please put 4.2.0 in
> right now and convert it to be meta-package when your team is ready for
> that. It is simple and let you concentrate on getting the work done
> instead of answering angry threads like this.

I think you misunderstand.  My patience is running out too, since
I thought the work was already done.  I've sent several requests
to the guys who said they were doing the work, asking them why it
wasn't committed yet.

Since it's already been three weeks since my first inquiry
and there have been many requests for this to be done, I will
merge their work into my tree and get it committed asap.  I have
heard no objections to my proposed approach as given to the
XFree86 list several times the last few weeks.

> P.S. And neither I believe that freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org has
> the right to hold a lock if somebody else wants to backout 4.2.0-->4.1.0
> downgrade.

Sure they do.  Jean-Marc is part of that team, and so are the
maintainers of the XFree86-4-* mini-ports.  Plus it's my
initiative as a portmgr member to finally get it done for 4.6,
since they've been broken for almost 2 years.  I asked for
everyone's patience so the opportunity for conversion could be
handled right after a release, to give maximal time between
releases to resolve the many issues with how our XFree86 ports
are currently done.  This initiative is particularly important
since many members of re, portmgr, and the community have
expressed a desire and willingness to convert the XFree86
offered by default in sysinstall for 4.6R to X4.

There was little reason not to wait a few more weeks back at the
time of the 4.5 release but I guess this work should just be
committed now.  I'll do this by Sunday night my time; I need
to gather the code again and merge it in.  Better sooner rather
than later, so we can fix issues before 4.6.  :)

You'll soon be able to enjoy the Super Savage driver with
split-up XFree86 4.2.0 ports.  :-)

Regards,
--
wca