Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:20:55 +0100
From:      Joacim Melin <listor@melin.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
Subject:   Software Raid redux

I had to redo the entire raid thing in my Netra X1 (due to bad
harddrives) and I can't get it to work.

I get this during the system boot:

ad0: 76293MB <Seagate ST380011A 3.16> at ata2-master UDMA66
ad1: 76319MB <Seagate ST3802110A 2AAA> at ata3-slave UDMA66
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 created (id=2737570145).
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad0 detected.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 already configured.
Root mount waiting for: GMIRROR
Root mount waiting for: GMIRROR
Root mount waiting for: GMIRROR
Root mount waiting for: GMIRROR
GEOM_MIRROR: Force device gm0 start due to timeout.
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0

Manual root filesystem specification:
                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0a
   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
   <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

The raid is configured and /dev/ad1 is added. I wanted to boot from
the raid and then add /dev/gm0 just like last time only now, I can't
get past this.

FreeBSD gives the same output even if I point the root partition to /
dev/ad0 in fstab but leave geom_mirror_load="YES" in /boot/
loader.conf.  Only when I remove geom_mirror_load="YES" and point the
root partition correctly in /etc/fstab will it boot properly again,
but then it of course won't utilize the raid.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joacim