Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 20:13:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE problems/questions

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Scott Myron wrote:

>Hello. I have a few quesitons and problems with FreeBSD 3.0.
>
>My first is, i installed the Xuser set. When i try to "startx" i get an
>error with /usr/X11/R6/bin/X
>then my shell hangs till i ctrl-c it. my question is, has anyone ever
>had that and does anyone know how to fix that.

Run X -probeonly >& /tmp/file and read the /tmp/file to see if it tells
you why X is failing to start. You may have an error in XF86Config.

>My seconds question is, i want to keep up with the -current kernels. Do
>i have to cvsup all of the source, or can i just download and compile
>the kernel source, since i'm running a full ELF system?

I was answering the first question more than this one but what the heck. I
had mix and match kernels and binaries for a while and had no troubles.
Better hackers than I said it wasn't a good idea so I upgraded all the
source and I still had no troubles. This decisive answer should help you
immensely. :)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/