Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 20:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      frank@exit.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   AMD 760 chipset/BCM5700 interaction.

I just replaced a flakey Intel gigabit nic with a BCM5700-based 3Com nic,
thinking that would work better.  Silly me.  It seems there's a nasty
interaction between the chipset and the nic, which 3Com solved with a
driver release.  From the Tyan site:
    #  Why can't I browse Network Neighborhood with my 3Com 3C996 Gigabit
       Ethernet Adapter?

       This is a driver issue with the 3c996 Gigabit Ethernet card and the
       AMD chipset.  3Com has released drivers to resolve this issue. The
       drivers are dated 12-18-01 & can be downloaded from [...]

So does anyone know the details of this interaction.  Might there be a fix
anywhere?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get a newer Intel board?
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/