Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 13:20:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      nobody <nonxstnt@darkening.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   case sensitivity

I just got the latest ports, and the Makefile problem is still there:

@grep ${key} ${.CURDIR}/INDEX | awk -F\| '{
printf("Port:\t%s\nPath:\t%s\nInfo:\t%s\nMaint:\t%s\nIndex:\t%s\nB-deps:\t%s\nR-deps:\t%s\n\n",
$$1, $$2, $$4, $$6, $$7, $$8, $$9); }'

should really be:

@grep -i ${key} ${.CURDIR}/INDEX | awk -F\| '{
printf("Port:\t%s\nPath:\t%s\nInfo:\t%s\nMaint:\t%s\nIndex:\t%s\nB-deps:\t%s\nR-deps:\t%s\n\n",
$$1, $$2, $$4, $$6, $$7, $$8, $$9); }'

(note the -i). This is so when people search for things, it's not case
sensitive. This Is A Good Thing (tm). Like when:

"make search key=netscape" you get:
Port:   ko-netscape-3.01intl
Port:   javac_netscape-1.0.1
Port:   ru-netscape-3.01
Port:   linux-netscape-4.03
Port:   netscape-3.03
Port:   netscape-4.03b8

"make search key=Netscape" and you get a totally different array of ports:
Port:   ko-nhpf-1.42
Port:   ko-nhppf-1.2
Port:   javac_netscape-1.0.1

This might not seem so much, but it sure bugged the heck out of me trying
to find Big Brother, usign make search key=net, when the Big Brother
description had Net. (I should have just grep -i'd /usr/ports/INDEX, but
make search key=whatever outputs much more nicely).

BTW: If anyone is bored and is looking for a port to put in before 2.2.5,
vmount is a great idea.

---
thomas strömberg . system admin, royal institute of technology (stockholm)
nobody@darkening.com . irc:nobody@EFnet . talk:nonxstnt@silent.darkening.com
real coders don't use comments. It was hard to write; it should be hard to read