Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 08:38:35 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Native Applixware for FreeBSD -- When?

Hi,

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 05:10:20PM -0700, Brian Beattie wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Bob Willcox wrote:
> > > When I asked them about 2 weeks ago, they said mid November.  Of 2000.
> > Wow!  By November of 2000 I may be retired.  :-)
phhh. ... smells like typical MS behaviour ;) <evil grin attached>
I have to state, that I just don't understand, why the h* the port
is that time-consuming.
Applixware is a native Unix application and not some kind of
hefty win32-api dependend stuff.

> > Maybe I'll take a look at Word Perfect.  Does it do Word documents?
hey, just for the case you guys don't know about it.
Applixware 4.1.x and the current 4.4.1 for Linux runs perfectly
under FreeBSD 2.2-stable, 3.1-stable and 4.0-current.

The Word-Import-Filter in 4.4.1 is _much_ more word-compatible and
much more stable than in previous releases.

> Don't know about Word Perfect but StarOffice does.  I had been holding of
> buying StarOffice waiting to see what Applix did but now I can see no
> sense in waiting.

Hmmm. I relly dislike the StarOffice GUI and never in my life
had real contact to WordPerfect. (AppleWorks -> Apple Writer 2e
-> MS WORD 4 (crap compared to AW2e) -> MS WinWord 2 -> Tex/LaTex
-> MS Office '95 [still using LaTex for complex tasks, of course])

-Andreas

--
: Anti-Spam Petition:     http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        :
: PGP-Key:                http://www.tse-online.de/~ab/public-key    :