Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 11:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI super device?

> I'm playing around with the 'scsi' command, and find an option:
>
>  scsi -f device -p [-b bus] [-l lun]              # To probe all devices
>
> According to the man page scsi(8),
>
>      The -p option can be used against the "super scsi" device /dev/scsi/super
>      to probe all devices with a given SCSI lun on a given SCSI bus.  The bus
>      can be selected with the -b option and the default is 0.  The lun can be
>      selected with the -l option and the default is 0.  See scsi(4) for a de-
>      scription of the "super scsi" device.
>
> Well, scsi(4) doesn't know about a "super scsi" device, I don't have
> one on my system, and MAKEDEV doesn't seem to know either.  Can
> anybody tell me what device I need here?  If I find out, I promise to
> update the man page.

the option in the kernel is (I believe)
the 'ssc' device

# These are only for watching for bitrot in old SCSI code.

pseudo-device   su              #scsi user
pseudo-device   ssc             #super scsi

as the comments suggest they haven't been tested very recently
but they DID work the last time I DID try them.

julian