Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:59:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, KOJIMA Hajime <kjm@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Propolice for gcc-2.95.2

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <20001116170042.A58481@citusc17.usc.edu> Kris Kennaway writes:
> : > I'd worry about putting this into the base system.  First, I'd worry
> : > about the performance impact of all this extra code in the base
> : > system.  Second, I'd worry about bitrot when we move to new versions
> : > of the source.
> :
> : Performance shouldn't be an issue unless you enable the extra bounds
> : checking at compile time.
>
> Right.  I guess I'd worry about this being enabled by default as a way
> of "solving" all stack smashing problems.  If it is just a knob to
> enable for those that want to enable it, I'd be cool with that.

On the contrary, if the support is imported, it should be enabled by
default.  The simple fact is that those most likely to install badly
written software are also probably unaware of how to change the options
and rebuild world / ports.  Additionally, a default on configuration would
allow the distinction of being able to say that FreeBSD is not vulnerable
when a certain normally vulnerable port is installed, where other OSes are
vulnerable.

Of course, that's assuming two things:

1.  Propolice actually stops some attacks.  While it looks great in
theory, it doesn't sound like any commonly exploited apps have been tested
for resiliance with propolice compilation.

2.  Propolice doesn't break anything.  With the number of ports, this
sounds like it could be extremely hard to figure out.  However, if they've
successfully recompiled redhat with it, it can't break that many programs.

Obviously the kernel wouldn't be compiled with Propolice ever.  A
compilation of world with it would be nice in theory, but would certainly
raise claims of slowdown.  Perhaps apps could be selectively added|removed
from the list of protected apps in the base system based on their suid
status and auditness?

Ports are really where the security's going to be an issue, as will the
speed... I'd think propolice should be on there by default.  Experienced
users concerned with apache running as fast as possible can use flags to
cause its protections not to be used when compiling.

I guess the argument is analagous to disabling telnet by
default.

(Note that after saying that, I haven't tried the patches whatsoever, I
don't want to break gcc.  Could some compiler expert tell us if it works
cleanly on FreeBSD?)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack