Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:10:19 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Richard B. Ernst" <ernst@wizard.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7-->current shortcut *boom*

On Friday, 27th November 1998, "Richard B. Ernst" wrote:

>Any suggestions for getting a clean compile?  If I have to shutdown to
>single-user, my users will just have to live with it, but I'd rather be
>fairly certain that whatever steps I take will actually solve the problem
>rather then leaving the system in its current state.

I recently upgraded a 2.2.5 box to current (a.out).  Going elf is an exercise
for the reader.

>From memory I did:

1) in /usr/src: make buildworld
2) found new config binary in /usr/obj and installed it as config.new
3) in /sys/i386/conf: config.new TOYBOX
4) in /sys/compile/TOYBOX: copied in new bsd.kern.mk and edited out
-fformat-extensions because the old compiler hates it.  Edited Makefile
to only look in . for bsd.kern.mk.  make depend all.
5) copyied kernel to /kernel.new
6) test booted /kernel.new (all ok)
7) booted old kernel (back to 2.2.5)
8) in /usr/src: make installworld
9) renamed /kernel.new as /kernel
10) reboot

Yeah, I think it went that way.  All of this was in multiuser, but if you
have people logged in, then make installworld will probably cause them or
you some difficulty.  I'd suggest single user from the test boot onwards.

Have fun!

Stephen.