Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to handle compiled in paths?

 * You repeat the @cwd line twice at the top of the package's PLIST,
 * "stapling" it to the canned prefix and preventing a -p override.  Not
 * every user's desire, of course, this still at least ensures that
 * what's installed will work and is probably the best that can be done
 * under the circumstances.

Um, this is not the case of "doctor, it hurts when I shoot my feet!",
Jordan. ;)

What he is asking is how to make ports not compile in the compile-time
PREFIX into the binaries so the users can "pkg_add -p /wherever" to
install the package anywhere s/he wants.  (Besides, your method will
defeat ports which can change the PREFIX at compile time.)

The short answer is that we don't have any provisions of that
currently; the long answer to that is that it may be doable (I do have
some ideas), but it is very hard.

Satoshi