Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:18:35 -0400
From:      Forsetti <matt@forsetti.com>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        vetter_david@sbcglobal.net, steve@velosystems.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS Dynamic DNS problems

Are you using a special Dynamic DNS update client, or relying on some
functionality in dhclient?  Is the DHCP server a MS DHCP server, that
could update AD/DNS for you?  It seems from your ping that the DNS entry
which your Win2k side registers lingers for a little while, long enough
for you to reboot into FreeBSD.  On Win2k shutdown, the address is
de-registered (unless configured differently) from DDNS, so unless you
are using a DDNS update client to re-register on the FreeBSD side, the
registration won't work for too long.  But the deregistration can take a
few minutes, depending on how busy the server is, so you might get
response from your entry for a few minutes after Win2k shutdown.
-Matt