Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:21:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
Cc:        cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT Advisory CA-97.22 - BIND - the Berkeley Internet Name Daemon

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <199708141502.IAA01825@cwsys.cwent.com> Cy Schubert writes:
> : This has been discussed on BUGTRAQ over the last 3-4 months.  We now have a
> : CERT advisory discussing this.
> :
> : When will BIND-8.1.1 be available in the 2.2 branch?
>
> 8.1.1 isn't even in the -current branch yet, so one could conjecture
> that it will be a while.  Bind 4.9.6 and Bind 8.1.1 have incompatible
> boot file formats, so adding 8.1.1 into the 2.2 branch, or even the
> -current banch, is complicated by compatibility concerns.

Its really not that big of a problem.  The _ONLY_ differences is that
bind4 uses 'named.boot' and bind8 uses 'named.conf'.  These two files
happen to be completely different in format, but big deal.  They are named
differently, so you are not going to run into conflicts.  Furthermore,
there is a script given with bind8 that will convert a bind4 .boot to a
.conf file.  I run bind/named serving about 16 domains.  I ran the
conversion on my boot file, restarted with bind8 and everything worked
fine--no problems whatsoever...

> 8.1.1 builds out of the box on a FreeBSD system.  There have been
> efforts made to make it a port so it is even easier.

I created a port, but missed the send-pr by a few hours on Justin Segar.
Both ports are available at /FreeBSD/incoming (his are the bind-* mine is
bind8-*).  They are virtually identical, except mine also converts the
boot file and adds an 'uninstall' program where you can revert back to
bind4 (so it doesn't nuke anything existing).

Regardless, the integration of the port hasn't moved anywhere (these were
added on July 19/20).

-Brandon Gillespie