Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Robert M. Layson" <snoozebunny@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install - newbie

Hello,

    I recently downloaded the 3.3 release and I am
unable to install it.  I made it though
the config-menu process, but when the system boots it
is unable to mount the root
directory.  the error message is:

    changing root device to wd1s1a
    changing root device to wd1a
    error 6: panic: cannot mount root (2)

At this point the system stops and attempts to reboot.

    - FreeBSD is installed on my second hard drive
(wd1)
    - the disk geometries given in the freebsd boot
process match the geometries in the
BIOS menu.
    - my second hard drive shares a FreeBSD, Linux,
and a dos partition.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Robert