Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 97 12:44:22 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-GAMMA (latest) page fault while in kernel mode

j@uriah.heep.sax.de writes:
> As Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > 	kgdb kernel /var/crash/vmcore.6
> > 	(gdb) /var/crash/vmcore.6 is not a coredump
> > 	(gdb) File format not recognized
> >
> > /var is large enough so I think nothing is truncated because
> > of space limitations...
>
> Maybe the latest gdb doesn't honor being called by the name kgdb as a
> special case?  Gary?

this may well be. I know I changed it to set the prompt to "(kgdb)" if
-k was specified, but I'm pretty sure that the hack to check for
argv[0]==kgdb was left out of 4.16. This would be trivial to put back
in, if it's considered worthwhile. If this is done then the Makefile
should also delete any kgdb that's present and make it a link to gdb
(if it doesn't do that already. I don't have FreeBSD box here to check).

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org