Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:04:42 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM <tforrest@shellworld.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, idontknow idontknow <ostendom@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with Security patches 01:40 and 01:55

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:18:29PM -0400, Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM wrote:

> When I entered cd /usr/src/lib/libc
> and then patch -p < /path/to/my/patch
>=20
> I got the error:
>=20
> <lots of stuff deleted>
> Hunk #4 failed at 351.
> 1 out of 9 hunks failed -- saving rejects to gen/fts.c.reg
> done
> <more stuff deleted>
>=20
> Then, when I ran make depend && make all install I got (after a lot of
> complining and screen flickering)
> *** Error Code 1
>=20
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc.
>=20
> ???  What did I do wrong?

The patch failed, leaving you with uncompilable source :)

If you're downloading the latest versions of the advisory and patch,
and the correct version of the patch for your version of FreeBSD, the
most likely explanation is that you have a different source tree than
it's expecting..perhaps you've got older source, or source for an
intermediate version of -stable (e.g. FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, instead of
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE)

Sometimes the initial versions of the advisory or patch are incorrect
and contain incorrect instructions, etc, but we always re-release them
with the corrections, and I think the two you refer to are believed to
be okay.

Kris
--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK--