Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 20:24:46 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Theodore Cekan <ted@mho.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smp question

Theodore Cekan wrote:

> Thanks, then I have another question :)   On bootup I get these messages:
> APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
> APIC_IO: Broken MP table detected: 8254 is not connected to IO APIC int pin
> 2
> APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 on pin 0
>
> It seems that either the motherboard is incompatible, or there really is
> something wrong with the mp table.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah, don't worry about it! - it means what it says... That the output of the
8254 controller/chip isn't connected to the APIC (used to handle IRQ's when in
SMP mode)... Both the SMP boards I have here (both SuperMicro) come up with
the same message... FreeBSD has a work-around for it (as it says, it's
re-routing the 8254 via the 8259 on pin 0) and should work fine...

Some would argue it's a 'broken' motherboard... If so, motherboards these days
are mostly broken... A fact I don't find hard to believe! <g>

-Kp