Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:40:41 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com>
Cc:        "David A. Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Offensive figures (wa: Why?)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 29 June 2000 at  6:19:06 -0400, David A. Medeiros wrote:
> > Why is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
> > FreeBSD? Thanks!
>
> Why, is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
> FreeBSD?  The logo represents a daemon.  What's offensive about that?

	Yes, that's the rationalization for it. But come on. The character is a
visual pun. It's _clearly_ drawn to represent a devil/demon. The high
minded "It's really a dAemon" business is just a convenient excuse. Why
else would BSDi be passing out little devil horns at usenix? How would
you draw a daemon, really?

	Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine if y'all want to have your little
joke. As long as you realize that dogged dedication to it will result in
limiting the audience for the product. The meta discussion about whether
that's a good thing, or justified, or an example of the stupidity of the
general populace is simply not relevant to the sales figure argument. It
_does_ offend people. If you think that's ok, more power to you.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire