Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:46:15 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>, ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger), nate@mt.sri.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw cannot do this...

> This is the point where a firewall module using the bpf engine becomes
> interesting, and the task more or less changes to one of compiler-
> writing...

I've done this in a user-mode SLIP implementation on another processor,
and it's quite handy and too difficult to do.  It turns out that the
"compiler" already exists - you can fairly easily extract the one in
tcpdump(1) and bend it to your will.

Once you've done this in a general purpose way, you could put it in
into a dial-on-demand PPP implemenatation have very fine-grained control
over what sort of packets are allowed to bring an on-demand PPP link
up, and what sort of packets will serve to keep the link from timing
out due to inactivity.

louie