Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:08:56 +0100
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cardbus controller

I have installed freebsd 3.3 on a Dell Inspiron 35OO.
I have also installed corresponding PAO. Now most
of the system works OK but i have some remaining problems.

First sound card does not work. This is a Neomagic chip. I have
been told that a driver is in preparation in CURRENT, and i can wait
because i don't use sound much. But it may cause other problems.

The pcic is a TI PCI cardbus controller. In fact there are 2 of them,
listed in the boot messages. No IRQ's are assigned, so the boot messages
display IRQ 255. I don't see any option in BIOS to force this assignment
from BIOS. The good news is that using PAO the first controller is
recognized, and allows to insert cards. I have successfully inserted
and removed a D-Link ethernet card. This is sufficient to make me happy.
However i am unable to enable the second controller. Under Windows
they have both IRQ 11 and have high memory ports:
04 000 000 - 04 000 FFF
04 001 000 - 04 001 FFF
Under PAO the first controller is enabled by
IRQ 11 port 0x3E0 (if i remember correctly. This is just the default
value in PAO kernel config).
If y put the same value of IRQ port for the second controller, and the flag
conflicts, the kernel seems to find the controller but refuses to attach it.
If i put another value of port the kernel does NOT find the controller.

Here i don't know how to proceed. May i change the IRQ? I would have tried but
i for example don't know the IRQ of the video card. It is listed
as 255 in dmesg, but nevertheless works. So i fear some conflict.

Another minor problem. If i hot boot from Windows to freebsd the kernel
hangs. Presumably due to the sound card.
Any suggestion?

Thanks

--

Michel TALON