Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:28:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

> > The only other issue we have here is the nasty NFS-write problem that makes
> > shared access to remote resources tricky at best.   If *THAT* was fixed we
> > would be running FreeBSD exclusively here.
>
> Is this the "write with no permission truncate" or what?  What is this
> NFS write problem?

The symptom is that processes block while waiting for writes to complete,
sometimes for as long as several *minutes*.  For a system which is taking
hundreds of hits per minute, this quickly blows the system sky-high.

> > I've been using FreeBSD exclusively for news service for quite a while
> > (some clients use NFS, others NNTP to read) and its been fine.  What we
> > have a problem with is using it for our web server and general user system
> > farm; the small NFS writes that the httpds do to the log disks cause system
> > lockups and hundreds of processes in a hung state.  The problem is understood,
> > but there is no immediate path to a fix from what I've been told.
>
> Who understands this problem, so I can talk to them?

Mr. Dyson has some ideas...

--
Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
Modem: [+1 312 248-0900]     | (shell, PPP, SLIP, leased) in Chicagoland