Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 18:36:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Services

Hi Patrick:

> I am new to FreeBSD, as well a this list (obviously :), and I have searched
> the relevant archives at FreeBSD, with little information being found on
> using FreeBSD in a wireless setup, so if there is another place I should
> look, please let me know.
> We want to setup  a box as a wireless bridge to our ethernet for a
> point-to-multipoint system as opposed to buying a proprietary bridge.  Any
> comments/thoughts would be appreciated or pointers to other resources.

Outdoor or indoor?
If indoor the easiest solution is to buy some NCR wavelan or DEC roamabout
cards (http://www.wavelan.com, or http://www.networks.dec.com and search
for RoamAbout).

> Sorry if this has been discussed already in detail, I just could not find
> it in the archives.

Well yes it has, but I personaly don't mind getting you started with this.

Regarding Wavelan:

jrb@cs.pdx.edu and miff@spam.frisbee.net.au have both worked hard at a
2.2-R compliant driver (actualy there is something submited to the 3.0
sources right now, and it works, except I haven't had time to test the
multicasting part which has changed from the original driver.

buaas@wireless.wdc.net has also made a few mods necessary to
make the new 2.4 GHz. wavelans with dautherboard work. I am in the process
of recompiling to test his new code with my (very old) 900 MHz. full
height wavelan cards.

What's your situation like?

Bernie