Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:47:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Kevin Wooten <kevin@wooten.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM + Vinum

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Kevin Wooten wrote:

> I am partially done with a replacement (not vinum compatible), that will
> hopefully do the same thing in the end, and more. I am trying to make a
> vinum that is more GEOM-ish. What I am experimenting with is using
> mirror, and ccd to handle the mirroring and disk concatenation. Then
> writing a single geom_stripe module that will stripe (with or without
> parity data). Once this is finished, the GEOM config. should allow just
> about all the complex configurations imaginable, even more than vinum.

The fine thing about GEOM is that it offers a whole bunch of new
possibilities.  I'm very interested to see a "native" GEOM RAID
implementation, and I think Pawel is working on this one.

I think we should really get together on a separate mailing list - is it
time for freebsd-geom@ yet?

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073