Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Alex Boisvert <boia01@gel.usherb.ca>, Christian Fortin <bsd-qc@e-c.qc.ca>, Chrystian Huot <chrystian@huot.qc.ca>, Francois Jacques <francois@qrs-sys.com>, Jean-Pierre Dumas <jphdumas@lemel.fr>, Roberto Urrea <rurrea@uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject:   Re: Big problems with keymaps, syscons and French caracters

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Malartre wrote:

> Ok, I have edited /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.iso.kbd. I have added
> some french characters. It work! BUT only at the prompt without logging
> in or has root! I really dont understand why.

Look where it is /usr/share/___syscons__/keymaps/...

This is for the console! (or at least the sc0 or vt0 driver)...

This doesn't apply to X window

> Else, when I log has a
> user, its doing a crazy bell sound or in ircII, its writing letters
> without the special accent.

strange...

> <SCREENSHOT>
> f00f$ ee /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/qc.ca.kbd
>   026   '['    '{'    esc    esc    'ê'    'Ê'    esc    esc     O
>   027   ']'    '}'    gs     gs     'ç'    'Ç'    gs     gs      O
>   039   ';'    ':'    nop    nop    'ï'    'Ï'    nop    nop     O
>   040   '''    '"'    nop    nop    'è'    'È'    nop    nop     O
>   052   '.'    '>'    nop    nop    'ë'    'Ë'    nop    nop     O
>   053   '/'    '?'    nop    nop    'é'    'É'    nop    nop     O

how about putting a plain 'a in there? ;)

> Another problem is that Xwindows seems to not use syscons's file and to
> be independant.

indeed it is! It uses keymaps.

Check this one:
http://pages.risq.qc.ca/htran/Xmodmap

It's one a friend submitted to me yesterday... I haven't tried it, and I
don't know if it's using the alt key...

You can load it using:

xmodmap Xmodmap

! simple enough? ;)

> In that way, you simply hold ALT to use the special characters or
> alt-shift if its in upper case. The six button are the six right button
> near "enter".

The main problem is that I can't do this with X window. It doesn't seem to
know ALT! At least, I don't know how to use it...

I don't understand the syntax of the modmaps:

keycode  32 = o O ocircumflex Ocircumflex

keycode: 32 # that's ok I understand
=
o           # ok, o w/o nothing
O           # ok, shift-o
ocircumflex # this I don't know! What modifiers does it use?
Ocircumflex # how can I know????

Thanks for any input!

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/