Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:47:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Mike Dorin <bsd_mike@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Tools for FreeBSD?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Mike Dorin wrote:

:My new freebsd server crashes when I try to build things like ssh.
:I suspect it is a memory problem.  Are there any tools that could
:help me exercise things like memory to be sure?
:-Mike

The machine panics, or the gcc process dies?  If it's a panic, what's the
panic string?  If it's just a process dieing, what does it die of?  What
version of FreeBSD?  What sort of hardware?  Without this sort of
information, you're not going to get much help.

Software memory testers are worse than worthless.  If you think you've got a
memory problem, replace it.  If your vendor won't replace suspect memory, no
questions asked, get a better vendor.

David Scheidt

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com