Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        bjgehrs@uwm.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AFS

> I am wondering how I might go about connecting to an AFS cell on my
> FreeBSD 4.8 system.  Any input would be helpful.

Currently, as far as I know, there is no version of AFS client
available for FreeBSD although I keep hearing about openAFS
coming.    I wish it would.   We use AFS here and so have to
use something besides FreeBSD on those systems that need AFS
access - unfortunately.

I know a BSD port of AFS was done at least once.  I know the
person[s] who did it as we were working in the same group at
the time (I didn't do any porting work).   But, I suppose creating
a complete OpenAFS has the same legal considerations as creating
the clean BSD (clean of any Bell Labs / ATT code) and that Linux
is currently being harrassed by SCO about is more of a total project
than doing a port to BSD.   I keep hoping it will come along though.

If someone has any more encouraging information than this, please
post it and indicate where this can best be tracked.

////jerry