Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:13:45 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Maksym Marchenko <marchenk@in.tum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ISO-image

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:03:38 +0200
Maksym Marchenko <marchenk@in.tum.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:52:20 -0400, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Maksym Marchenko <marchenk@in.tum.de> wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> So I need to download FreeBSD iso image 4.10
> >>
> >> Can anybody say, what a difference between miniinst, disc1 and
> >> disc2 iso's
> >
> > miniinst is the minimal reqired to install FreeBSD.  It's
> > designed to be a small download.
> >
> > disc1 is the typical FreeBSD first CD.  It includes FreeBSD and
> > a number of commonly used packages.
> >
> > disc2 is add on stuff.  Lots of packages and perhaps other things
> > (not sure of exact details)
>
>   May be anyone knows what add on's on it???
>   Or someone used that stuff???

Hi Maksym,

You can view the various disc contents from these files:

http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/4.10-R-i386-disc1-contents.txt
http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/4.10-R-i386-disc2-contents.txt
http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/4.10-R-i386-miniinst-contents.txt

The "disc2" is a fixit/live filesystem and does not seem to contain
any packages.

If you're installing for the first time, the "disc1" will contain
enough for you to install FreeBSD as well as select one of the
more popular desktop environments.  Most users start out this way
and investigate other options as their level of experince increases.

The Handbook installation instructions may also be of interest:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

I hope this is of some help to you and that your experience with
FreeBSD is as enjoyable as mine has been!

Best regards,

Randy